How to Fix ExpressVPN Not Working with Netflix
1. Connect to a Working ExpressVPN Server
Chance of Success: Very High
Time: 1 Minute
Here’s how to change server location in the ExpressVPN app:
- Open the ExpressVPN app and press the Location button.
- Search for one of the servers listed in the table below, such as Miami.
- Tap the server location. You will now be connected to an ExpressVPN server that can stream Netflix.
Most of the time, ExpressVPN has stopped working with Netflix because the streaming platform has blocked the IP address of the VPN server.
ExpressVPN automatically connects you to New York when you select the United States. As more users are connected to this server location, it makes it easier for Netflix to detect and block the IP address. We haven’t been able to access US Netflix using the New York server since August 2021.
To fix this, connect to one of the ExpressVPN servers listed below. We’ve tried these servers in March 2022 to confirm they still work with Netflix.
|Netflix Library||ExpressVPN Server|
|Australia||Sydney – 2|
|Germany||Frankfurt – 3|
Once you’re connected to a working ExpressVPN server, refresh your browser if you’re on desktop, or restart the Netflix app on mobile.
2. Use MediaStreamer
Chance of Success: High
Time: 20 Minutes
Here’s how to use ExpressVPN MediaStreamer:
- Make sure you’re not connected to a VPN server. Log into the ExpressVPN website.
- Click DNS Settings on the left-hand side. Click Register my IP address and ensure Automatically register my IP address is enabled.
- Change your device’s DNS address to the MediaStreamer DNS address. You will now be able to access US Netflix.
If you can’t find an ExpressVPN server that works with US Netflix, use MediaStreamer. MediaStreamer is ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS service. It is included with your ExpressVPN subscription for no additional cost.
MediaStreamer bypasses Netflix’s geo-blocks by replacing the DNS address from your ISP with an ExpressVPN DNS server located in the US. This makes it harder for Netflix to detect than a regular VPN connection.
Since the most recent Netflix VPN ban, our research has found that MediaStreamer is more reliable at accessing US Netflix than any regular ExpressVPN server.
That said, unlike a VPN connection, using MediaStreamer will not hide your IP address, nor will it encrypt web traffic.
As it is set up without the ExpressVPN app, MediaStreamer can be used on every internet-connected device you own. You can use it to unblock US Netflix on devices that don’t allow VPN apps, like Smart TVs and games consoles.
Disappointingly, MediaStreamer only works with US Netflix. However, as this is the most popular library, we don’t think it’s a dealbreaker.
3. Clear Cache & Browser Cookies
Chance of Success: Medium
Time: 5 Minutes
Here’s how to clear browser cookies and cache in Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome. Click the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click More Tools > Clear Browsing Data. In the Time Range drop-down menu, select All Time.
- Check Browsing History, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files. Click Clear data.
- Relaunch Google Chrome and visit Netflix.
Netflix stores temporary information about your location whenever you access its service. These files are called cookies and cache.
Even if you’re connected to a VPN server in a different country, Netflix uses these to figure out your true location. If these locations don’t match, it’ll block you from accessing its content.
By deleting these files, Netflix can only calculate your location using the IP address of your VPN server. You’ll then be able to stream content from your chosen Netflix region.
If you’re using a different browser, you can still follow the steps above. The process for removing cookies and cache is similar on all popular web browsers.
Note: This method only works on desktop computers. If you’re using Android, clear Netflix’s cache and cookie files from within the Settings app. On iPhone, you will have to restart your device.
4. Change to the Lightway Protocol
Chance of Success: Low
Time: 1 Minute
Here’s how to change VPN protocol in the ExpressVPN app:
- On desktop computers, click the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the top left. On mobile, tap Options in the bottom right.
- On desktop computers, click Protocol and select Lightway – UDP. On mobile tap Settings > VPN Protocol > Lightway – UDP.
If Netflix isn’t working with ExpressVPN, try changing your VPN protocol. Due to the different encryption and obfuscation methods each protocol uses, some are better at bypassing Netflix’s VPN ban than others.
We recommend you connect to the Lightway (UDP) protocol. Our tests have found this protocol to be more reliable at bypassing Netflix’s geo-blocks than other ExpressVPN protocols, like OpenVPN and IKEv2.
Lightway is also ExpressVPN’s fastest protocol. It’ll stream content in HD and 4K without any buffering or lag.
Some ExpressVPN servers also support L2TP/IPSec and PPTP, but these protocols are not secure. We don’t recommend them for any non-streaming activities. However, if you only want to restore Netflix access, they provide additional options to try.
5. Contact ExpressVPN Support
Chance of Success: Medium
Time: 5 Minutes
Here’s how to contact ExpressVPN’s customer support team:
- Go to the ExpressVPN website. Click Need help? Chat with us! in the bottom right of the screen.
- Type your question. You will then be asked to provide the email address associated with your account.
- An agent will respond to your query within a few minutes.
If none of the above troubleshooting methods work, contact ExpressVPN’s customer support.
ExpressVPN’s support team can provide you with an up-to-date list of exactly which servers can unblock Netflix.
In the video below, you can see us contact ExpressVPN’s support team when our server was blocked from accessing US Netflix. We were told to connect to the Atlanta server, which worked instantly.
We’ve found ExpressVPN’s customer support to be the best on the market. As well as finding a working server, they’ll also be able to check if there’s a general problem with your internet connection.
ExpressVPN’s support agents are available 24/7 through live chat and email. No matter the time of the day, a representative can help restore compatibility with Netflix.